Wednesday 14 November 2012

Day 17: It's Here!

My Bible-in-a-year arrived today; the One-Year Bible compiled by Crossway. I'm starting on the right date, because otherwise I won't be able to keep on track. So I jumped right into November 13. I'm in the middle of Ezekiel, Hebrews, and there is a psalm and a proverb each day.

Ezekiel was a bit out of context, so I'm going to have to do some reading about the book to sort it out. I read Hebrews 11 today, about the faith of the patriarchs and Rahab. That was pretty inspiring. I especially thought about how Moses denied the privileges that came with being a prince, so that he could be faithful--to Christ. Even though he didn't know who Christ really was/would be, he was trusting in God's promises of a saviour to come and gave up all of that wealth, power and prestige. I know who the Saviour is and what He's done, and I still choose the way of sin so that I can have accolades from the world. That was pretty convicting.

I read Romans 8 last night and focused on the question, Who does this passage say God is? It was pretty eye-opening. It really brought home to me the familial in having a relationship with the Lord. He's my Father...through the Spirit who intercedes for me, I am a joint heir of His kingdom, with Jesus! I'm not just a nobody, even though I feel sometimes like I'm just a loser. No matter what the world thinks of me (or what I think of myself), I'm an heir to God's kingdom. In God's eyes, I have eternal significance; I matter to Him. It was pretty overwhelming, and comforting. It reminds me of why it's so important to my mental health to read His Word. This is something I need to tell myself every day. And it's not a self-esteem thing at all--that's all about 'learning to love yourself' or some such Whitney Houston-esque sentiment. It's really about finding my entire identity in the Lord who bought me with Jesus' blood. It's completely external and it's all Him, but it lifts my spirit like nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment