Thursday 22 November 2012

Day 25: Life making demands

I still haven't been doing a great job reading my one-year Bible, although I have been reading the Bible each day. I need to find a good time for it. Although I think my priorities are often wrong. Right now, I am juggling this with a game of Candy Crush Saga on Facebook. Smart one, Steph.

Sometimes there are valid reasons that I never seem to find the quiet time to sit down and read. Kids, the home, and these things are demanding. It seems like these are important things to tend to, and they sometimes are. But I need to remind myself that the real demands in my life are from God--and He has a right to demand them from me, because he bought my life with the blood of Jesus Christ.

For me, I need the first thing I do to be Bible reading and prayer. I have to nurse my boy first thing, and waking up early doesn't seem to happen.

Sigh. Excuses are easy to find. I don't know if I'm just being hard on myself (I tend to do that) or if it's a real part of my life where I need to be ruthless about my morning activities.

Yesterday I read the story of the wise and foolish builders in Matthew. My counsellor talked about how this story seems to be about salvation (and I think it is), but it also has another level about sanctification. That sand is those little idols we build up in our hearts that keep us from standing strong in the Lord. When the storms come (like postpartum depression), they wash away some of that sand. Right now, God has washed away all of the sand. I can see now that I wasn't resting in the Lord, but in my own strength. It was quite a revelation, and meditating on that passage was pretty helpful to me.

I'm thankful that God has kept me on track so far with this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment